November 18, 2014

Peanut Butter Cookies | Celia's Saucer

Cookies with Milk and Peanuts
 These beauties are just perfect to suit a late afternoon. Coarse and cakey, salty-sweet and with a gentle crust, they pair well with a tall, cold glass of milk, the sofa and a good book.

 Whenever I make them, I feel like a little girl again. Peanut butter is my time machine. 

I'm five and it's almost nap time at Kindergarten. I wipe my hands on my dungarees, rock gently on my socked feet and picking up the soft, doughy peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, I sink my teeth into it. 

I'm seven-years old and I have just got my first bedroom to myself. The walls, under my precise instruction, have been freshly painted with the slightest pink, it's almost white, and there's a ragged, marl grey sofa that's seen better days pushed up against the window. A plate of cold, crisp Granny Smith slices smeared thick with peanut butter and a well-thumbed copy of Mathilda await me. I nestle into the sofa under the fading light of the afternoon and begin...

I'm 13 and a padded envelope lands softly on the doormat. Stamped as direct from Massachusetts, I lift it to my face and  it smells sweet and papery like brown-bag lunches, except there's not a sandwich inside but little chocolate cups filled with grainy peanut butter and encased in a thick, gold foil. Memories of fallen leaves and pine needles, the grin of a glowing jack-o-lantern and October moons fill my senses. Popping a candy in my mouth, it's like I'm an English girl in America again.

I'm a little older now and enjoy peanut butter in all its forms. The best thing about these biccies though, is that they only require three ingredients and about 10-minutes cooking time. IT'S TOO EASY. I like to add about two tablespoons of spelt flour to stiffen them up a little and sprinkle sesame seeds on top (cuz I'm an adult now) but you can add (or not add) anything you like.
Easy Cookie Recipes - Three Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig